National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) is a compulsory test for students seeking admission to the 5-year Integrated MSc programme in basic sciences – Biology. Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics at National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai – Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS), Mumbai. Both NISER and UM-DAE CEBS were set up by Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India in 2007. Their mandate is to train scientific manpower for carrying out cutting edge scientific research and for providing input to scientific programmes of Department of Atomic Energy and other applied science institutions in the country. NEST 2018 will be conducted in around 106 cities [see list] across India. The brochure gives the detailed procedure for applying for the test, syllabus of the test and various dead lines.
Eligibility criteria for admission
Candidates must qualify all four eligibility criteria listed below:
- Candidates in General and OBC category should be born on or after August 01, 1998. The age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC/ ST/ Physically Disabled (PD) candidates.
- Class XII qualifying examination should be passed in either 2016 or 2017. Candidates appearing in 2018 are also eligible. (Where only Letter Grade is given by the Board, a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent percentage marks will be required. In the absence of such a certificate the decision of the respective Admission Committees will be final.)
- At least 60% marks in aggregate (or equivalent grade) in Class XII (or equivalent) examination from any recognized Board in India. For Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) candidates and for Persons with Disability (PD), the minimum requirement is 55%.
- Candidate should secure a position in the NEST merit list.
- Registration / Online application opens : January 01, 2018 (10:00 am) [First Monday of January]
- Online application closes : March 05, 2018 (midnight) [First Monday of March]
- Download of admit card starts : April 25, 2018, 10:00 am
- Date of examination : June 02, 2018 (Saturday), 10:00 am – 1:00 pm [First Saturday of June]
- Announcement of results on NEST website : June 18, 2018 [Third Monday of June]
The candidates admitted to the programme are eligible to receive annual scholarship of *60,000 either through INSPIRE scholarship of Dept, of Science & Technology or DISHA scholarship of Dept, of Atomic Energy, Govt, of India. In addition, the scholarship recipients receive a grant of *20,000 per annum for Summer Internship.
Examination Fee details:
Male (General and OBC categories): Rs.1,000/-
Male (SC and ST categories): Rs.500/-
Female (All categories): Rs.500/-
Persons with Disability: Rs.500/-
For more details, visit: https://nestexam.in/
For previous question papers with key: http://www.academics.in/nest-exam-previous-question-papers-with-key/2233/