University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Science
Scholarship for International Students
Application Guidelines for April/September 2018
1. Purpose of the Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is twofold: to financially support Self-financed Overseas Students whose academic performance is outstanding and to increase the number of students from abroad.
2. Definition of Self-financed Overseas Students
“Self-financed Overseas Student” is defined in this guideline as an overseas student (person with Status of Residence as ‘Student’ as specified in the Immigration Control and Refugees Recognition Act [Government Ordinance No. 319, October 4, 1951] Appended Table 1-4) but excluding students receiving Foreign Students Scholarships as specified in Implementation Guidelines for International Scholarship Scheme (March 31, 1954) and students dispatched by foreign governments.
All self-financed overseas students with outstanding performance who pass the entrance examination for the Master’s Program at the Graduate School of Science to enroll in April or September 2018. Priority goes to UTRIP(University of Tokyo Research Internship Program) participants. Applicants who are already in Japan are not eligible to apply. As a rule anyone receiving or expecting to receive any other scholarship awards are excluded.
- As a rule applicants of scholarships from private foundations (including provisional applicants) are not eligible.
- Applicants for the JASSO’s Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students will not be excluded. However, if accepted for this scholarship, it is expected that the Honors Scholarship from JASSO will be declined.
- Applicants for the University of Tokyo Foundation for Supporting International Students (including provisional applicants) will not be excluded. However, if accepted for this scholarship, it is expected that the scholarship from the University of Tokyo Foundation will be declined.
4. Number of Recipients
A few (Enrolling in April or September)
5. Monthly Stipend
150,000 yen per month
6. Term of Scholarship
From April/September, 2018 to March/August, 2023
The Standard Program Durations for the Master and Doctoral programs stated in Article 2 of the University of Tokyo Rules on Graduate School will apply.
7. Application Procedure
Applicants should submit the application documents (Section 8) to the International Liaison Office at the Graduate School of Science by post at the time of their Graduate School application for admission into the Master’s Program.
International Liaison Office
Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo
Room 101, Faculty of Science Bldg. 1 7-3-1
Hongo Bunkyo-ku Tokyo 113-0033 JAPAN
October 1 – 31, 2017—For those entering in April April 1 – May 1, 2018—For those entering in September
* The application must arrive no later than the last day of each application period without fail.
Download the official notification for complete details: