Department of Science and Technology
Ministry of Science & Technology
Government of India
Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi-110016.
Jawaharlal Nehru Science Fellowships
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Department of Science and Technology has instituted Jawaharlal Nehru Science Fellowship, in order to promote cutting-edge scientific research in centres of excellence in India. Eminent scientist of any nationality desirous of carrying out research in Indian Institutions for a period of 12 months in a three year duration would be enabled by this Fellowship Scheme. Nominations of eminent scientists for the Award of Jawaharlal Nehru Science Fellowships are invited from Heads of Academic/Research Institutions, Presidents/Fellows of Science Academies and global leaders in science.
SCOPE: Areas in Natural and Physical Sciences including Mathematics.
• The Fellowship is open to overseas scientists with high academic distinction and achievements.
• High academic distinctions accompanied by election to the fellowships like Royal Society, US and French Academies and their equivalent.
• The nominated scientists should continue to be active in Research, as evidenced from R&D Outputs over the past five years.
The Fellowship would be availed for a duration of 12 months during a period of three years, from the date of offer of the Fellowship Award.
NATURE OF SUPPORT
Value of the Fellowship is US$ 100,000 for a 12 months period.
In addition, each Fellow will receive aggregated research grant of Rs. 5.5 million part of which may be utilised to engage project staff (2 Research Fellows or 1 Post-doctoral Research Fellow), international / local travel and other contingent expenses to carry out research.
The selected scientists could choose:
• Their place of research anywhere in India.
• Duration (total of 12 months spread over a period of up to three years).
• Research theme for pursuing their research.
• Research collaboration in India, if any.
25 Fellowships for the period 2014-17.
The Host Institutions for the Jawaharlal Nehru Science Fellows would need to provide the necessary infrastructure, furnished housing and administrative support to the Fellow. The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, would provide Rs 1 million to the host institute to cover the expenses of such support.
METHODOLOGY FOR SELECTION
• Nominations for the Fellowship are solicited through an open call.
• A Search Committee will select and recommend suitable nominations to the Government of India.
HOW TO APPLY
The nominations for the Fellowship may be sent to Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, Technology Bhawan, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi -110016 through email@example.com (please mention “Attention SS Kohli, Director, DST” in the subject of the email). There is no prescribed format for nomination. The nomination letters should be accompanied by a recent and detailed CV of the nominee and expressed willingness to accept the Fellowship, if offered.
Since the Government of India wishes to initiate the Fellowship scheme by January, 2014, early nomination by December, 2013 are solicited. To see further details log on to www.dst.gov.in.