JOINT ENTRANCE SCREENING TEST – 2014 For Ph.D. Programmes in Physics / Theoretical Computer Science / Neuroscience
A common qualifying test for admissions to the Ph.D. programmes in the following research institutes in India. Qualifying in JEST does not entitle an applicant to get a Research Fellowship. Using the JEST results, each institute will call a limited number of candidates for further selection depending on their requirements. All selected candidates will receive Research Fellowships from the respective institutes.
- ARIES: Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital.
- HBNI: Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai.
- HRI: Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad.
- ICTS: International centre for theoretical sciences (TIFR), Bangalore.
- IGCAR: Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam.
- IIA: Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore.
- IISc: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- IISER MOHALI: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali.
- IISER PUNE: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune.
- IISER THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram.
- IM.Sc.: The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai.
- IOP: Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar.
- IPR: Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar.
- IUCAA: Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune.
- JNCASR: Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
- NBRC: National Brain Research Centre, Manesar.
- NCRA-TIFR: National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune.
- NISER: National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar.
- PRL: Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad.
- RRCAT: Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore.
- RRI: Raman Research Institute, Bangalore.
- SINP: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata.
- SNBNCBS: Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata.
- TIFR-TCIS: TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad.
- TIFR: Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai.
- UGC-DAE CSR: UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore.
- VECC: Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata.
Visit http://www.jest.org.in to apply and for more information
Eligibility: Students who expect to complete their final examination by August 2014 are also eligible to apply.
Minimum Qualifications and Selection Procedures Ph.D. Programme
Physics: M.Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines. Candidates with M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA. Graduates with a B.E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, SNBNCBS and NISER. B.E./B.Tech./BCA/B.Sc. students can also apply for the integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. programme, see below. In addition, talented final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. (in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics) students may also apply to be pre-selected for research scholarship at IUCAA. Similar pre-selection is open at SNBNCBS for candidates who also have specialization in Bio-Physics, Optics and OptoElectronics. At IPR, candidates should have a Master’s degree in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics. At TIFR, only B.Tech (Engineering Physics) and M.Sc. Physics are eligible.
Theoretical Computer Science/ Neuroscience: M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science. Visit website of IMSc for further details. M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science for Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC.
Integrated M.Sc./M.Tech. – Ph.D. Programme
At HRI, IISER Pune, ICTS-TIFR, IISER Thiruvananthapuram, IISc Bangalore, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, TIFR and SNBNCBS, candidates with a Bachelor’s degree will also be considered for the integrated M.Sc. – Ph.D. programme in Physics. At IMSc, graduates with B.Sc. / B.E. / B. Tech. degree will also be considered for admission to M.Sc. (Research) programme in Physics and Theoretical Computer Science, as part of an integrated Ph.D. programme. At SNBNCBS, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics/Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. degree will be considered for the integrated Post-B.Sc.-Ph.D. programme in subject areas mentioned above. At NBRC, B.Sc. (Physics/ Mathematics) & B.E./ B.Techi (Computer Science) will be considered for integrated M.Sc-Ph.D in Neuroscience.
Integrated M.Tech.- Ph.D. Programme at IIA : Graduates with M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) B.Tech. in Optics and Photonics, Radiophysics and Electronics / B.E. / B.Tech. degree in subjects mentioned above will be considered.
How to Apply
Candidates for Physics / Theoretical Computer Science / Neuroscience can apply for JEST-2014 ON-LINE through http://www.jest.org.in. Email applications and photocopies of printed applications will not be accepted. Details regarding the on-going programmes at different institutions are available at JEST-2014 website. Application Fee of Rs. 300/- (Rs. 150/- for SC/ST) is payable. Visit JEST-2014 website for further details.
Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Aligarh, Bangalore, Bardhaman, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Madurai,
Mumbai, Nagpur, Nainital, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Roorkee, Sambalpur, Silchar, Siliguri, Srinagar, Thiruvananthapuram, Udaipur, and Visakhapatnam.
Website opening and on-line submission of applications will be enabled at http://www.jest.org.in from November 11, 2013.
Last date of ON-LINE submission of applications is December 10, 2013.
JEST – 2014 (written test) will be held on Sunday, February 16, 2014 from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. Candidates seeking admission to any of the institutes for a Ph. D. Programme in Physics / Theoretical Computer Science / Neuroscience may appear for JEST (written test in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science as applicable) at the test centre chosen by the candidate.