UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION
Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi- 110 002
Subject: Fake Universities in the Country
The University Grants Commission Act, 1956 casts a duty upon the Commission to take all such steps as it may think fit for maintenance of standards in the field of higher education. As per Section 22(1) of the UGC Act, only a University established by an Act of Parliament or the State Legislature or an Institution deemed to be a University or an Institution especially empowered by an Act of the Parliament is entitled to award degrees. Further, the institutions established as stated above can award only those degrees, which are specified by the UGC under Section 22(3) of the UGC Act, 1956.
Further, the UGC Act prohibits the use of the word “University” by any institution other than a university established by or under a Central or a State Act or a Provincial Act.
In view of the above, students and the public at large are hereby informed that the UGC has identified, so far, the following 21 self-styled, unrecognized institutions in nine states, which are functioning in contravention of the provisions of the UGC Act. All these institutions have been declared as fake and do not have any right to confer or grant degrees.
1. Maithili UniversityA/ishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar
1. Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi
2. United Nations University, Delhi
3. Vocational University, Delhi
4. ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi-110 008.
5. Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi
1. Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum (Karnataka)
1. St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala
1. Keserwani Vidyapith, Jabalpur (M.P.)
1. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur
1. D.D.B. Sanskrit University, Putur, Trichi, Tamil Nadu
1. Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta
1. Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya Varanasi (UP)/ Jagatpuri, Delhi.
2. Mahila Gram Vidyapith/ Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad (UP)
3. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad (UP)
4. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur
5. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh (UP)
6. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura (UP)
7. Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh (UP)
8. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Khoda, Makanpur, Noida Phase-ll, (UP)
9. Gurukul Vishwavidyalaya, Vrindavan, Mathura, (UP)
* Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP – the matter is subjudice before the District Judge, Lucknow.
All such self-styled unrecognized and unapproved institutions are hereby cautioned that running of under-graduate or post-graduate degree courses and giving misleading advertisements shall attract severe action under the provisions of appropriate laws including UGC Act, IPC etc.
The aspiring students are advised/ cautioned not to pursue higher education courses with the above/such institutions. Anyone dealing with such institutions for pursuing academic studies for degrees, shall be doing so at his/her own risk and responsibility.
Students, parents and the general public are, therefore, advised to refer to the UGC website:- www.ugc.ac.in for the “state-wise list of recognized universities” before seeking admission in the Universities/ Institutes. It is also for the information of the general public that the UGC has also uploaded “Public Notice on list of fake Universities” in the UGC website. The AICTE list of fake Universities may also be consulted from the AICTE website: www.aicte.ernet.in for the general awareness so that the students may not seek admission in such Universities/ Institutes as degree obtained from such unauthorized universities is not valid. They are also requested to bring any such illegal and unrecognized Universities/ Institutions to the notice of UGC or other appropriate statutory regulatory bodies/ councils.